In their first year of trading, Micro E-mini futures have transformed the landscape of equity index futures trading. Following their launch in May 2019, more than 215 million contracts were traded in 12 months marking the most successful product launch in the CME’s history.
First Year Highlights
- 865K per day average volume across all 4 equity indexes
- 1-day volume record of 3.9M contracts set on February 28, 2020
- Micro E-mini S&P 500 futures accounted for nearly 50% of the total yearly volume at over 106.5M contracts
- Participants from over 150 countries took part in the action with an average daily volume of more than 190K traded during non-US hours and 27% of volume coming from outside the US
Micro E-mini Equity Index Futures
At 1/10 the size of traditional E-mini contracts, Micro E-minis provide a low-cost entry point for new futures traders as well as the flexibility to fine-tune positions for full-size E-mini traders.
These micro-sized contracts provide access to the 4 most liquid US equity index markets:
- S&P 500: Micro E-mini S&P 500 Futures (MES) – The 500 large-cap companies comprising Standard & Poor’s stock index
- Nasdaq-100: Micro E-mini Nasdaq-100 Futures (MNQ) – The top 100 tech companies listed on the Nasdaq exchange
- Dow Jones Industrial Average: Micro E-mini Dow Futures (MYM) – Benchmark American stock index representing 30 of the top US blue chip companies
- Russell 2000: Micro E-mini Russell 2000 Futures (M2K) – The bottom 2/3rds of small-cap stocks within the Russell 3000 index
See 5 Reasons Traders Choose Micro E-minis
Why Trade Micro E-minis with NinjaTrader?
NinjaTrader is the premier destination for futures trading, with $50 day trading margins on Micro E-mini futures and providing:
- Clear savings through deep discount commissions
- Low minimum – Open your NinjaTrader account with only $400
- Free Platform: Includes all key features needed for live trading
- 1000s of Apps & Add-Ons to personalize your platform