The OnePlus 8 Pro sets Oneplus on a new pedestal. It is the first OnePlus smartphone that meets the criteria of a complete flagship. It does away with the majority of the shortcomings the OnePlus 7 Pro had as a flagship device. OnePlus 8 Pro packs in an Official IP68 rating, a 30W wireless charging mechanism, and lots more.
OnePlus 8 Pro Key Specs & Features
- 6.78-inch Fluid AMOLED Display, 1440 x 3168 pixels, (513 PPI)
- Android 10.0; OxygenOS 10.0
- Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (7 nm+) Processor
- 8GB / 12GB RAM
- 128GB / 256GB Inbuilt Storage
- 48MP + 8MP + 48MP + 5MP Quad Rear Camera
- 16MP Front Camera
- Fingerprint Sensor (Under Display, Optical)
- IP68 Dust / Water-Resistant
- 4510 mAh Non-Removable Li-Po Battery
Design and Display
The OnePlus 8 Pro features a design that appears to have been carved out from its predecessor. It features the same curved edges, a centralized rear camera bump, and lots more.
However, the presence of a hole-punch camera on the display and an extra rear camera brings observable disparities. You also get squared-off corners as opposed to the round corners we saw on the OnePlus 7 Pro.
The Display on the OnePlus 8 Pro is unarguably one of the most hi-teched on any Mobile Phone. OnePlus is taken things up a notch. It is a 6.78-inch Fluid AMOLED display with a screen resolution of 1440 x 3168 pixels, a screen density of 513 PPI, and a 120Hz refresh rate.
The OnePlus 8 Pro is one of the few smartphones that lets users use a 120Hz refresh rate while still retaining a 1440 screen resolution, unlike the Samsung Galaxy S20 which only lets you use 120Hz at 1080p.
Please note that it features a variable refresh rate system that reduces the refresh rate when not in use i.e when using apps that do not support 120hz.
You also get a motion smoothing system that raises 24fps videos to a 120, which world by interpolating in-between frames, this makes videos a lot smoother to the eye.
One of the shortcomings OnePlus has had to tackle with over the years has been its cameras. It has always been a ‘but’ in every one of its reviews. However, OnePlus has taken a giant step in improving its cameras, with hopes that it’s gonna measure up with the top players.
The OnePlus 8 Pro comes equipped with a quad camera, comprising of a 48MP primary camera, an 8MP telephoto capable of 3x optical zoom, a 5MP depth camera, and a 48MP ultrawide camera.
Its 48MP ultrawide camera is powered by a Sony Sensor. It shoots 12MP photos on default, however, there is a 48MP mode that lets you fully utilize the sensor offering crisp ultrawide photos.
With this rear camera setup, you can shoot 4k videos at 60fps, 1080p videos at 30, 60, and 240fps. You also get HDR and Panorama for photos.
Selfies are manned by a 16MP punch hole camera. This camera is capable of shooting 1080p videos at 30fps and also has auto HDR for photos.
Hardware and Software
The key player in every flagship smartphone is its hardware combo. OnePlus didn’t relent here. The OnePlus 8 Pro comes packed with smartphone hardware tuned for speed.
Powering the OnePlus 8 Pro is an Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 processor, an Adreno 650 GPU, 8GB or 12GB of RAM, 128GB, or 256GB of internal storage and a 4510mAh battery.
In my opinion, having storage variants capped at 256GB speaks low of a flagship smartphone. The absence of a micro-SD slot makes matters worse, as there isn’t any provision for storage expansion.
A 4510 mAh may appear substantial, however featuring a battery as big as 5000 mAh or more would have to secure the battery life aspect, due to the power-consuming parts it features like its 120hz display.
To secure faster-charging speeds, the OnePlus 8 Pro comes packed with a 30W wrap charge system that boasts of 50% charge in 23 mins.
The First OnePlus Smartphone With Wireless Charging
What appears to be the big news here is the inclusion of a wireless charge mechanism, a feature was missing from OnePlus flagships in the past.
The Fast wireless charge system is pretty much exception. Thanks to its 30W capacity, the OnePlus 8 Pro is expected to give a 50 percent charge in half an hour.
This 30W fast charge mechanism lords over that the Samsung Galaxy S20 ultra which is capped at 15W and also that of the iPhone 11 Pro max which is capped at 7.5 watts.
Please note that attaining a 30W fast charge on the OnePlus 8 Pro is only possible via its proprietary wireless charger which is on sale for $70. This wireless charger features chips and a fan that reduces heat generated during wireless charging.
Charging it with universal wireless charging will bring charging speeds down to a 5W territory.
On the software side, the OnePlus 8 Pro runs OxgenOS 10.0 on top of the Android 10.0 operating system.
The OnePlus 8 Pro features a USB Type-C (3.0) port, dual-band WiFi, Bluetooth 5.1, and NFC. Please note that it doesn’t feature a 3.5mm headphone jack. Private listening possible via a USB-C headphone and wireless headphones.
Thanks to its 5G support, streaming, uploads, and downloads are capped at 5G speeds. However, you can only tap into this speed where there is 5G reception.
OnePlus 8 Pro Pricing and Availability
The price of the OnePlus 8 Pro is around $899, which is about 324,089 Naira, 96,193 Kenyan shillings, and 5,214 Ghana Cedi.
The OnePlus 8 Pro was announced on April 13, 2020, and is expected to go on sale later in April. It comes in Glacial Green, Ultramarine Blue, and Onyx Black.
OnePlus 8 Pro Specs
Here are a few specs of the Oneplus 8 Pro:
- Platform: Android 10.0; OxygenOS 10.0
- Processor: Octa-core Qualcomm Snapdragon 865 (1×2.84 GHz Kryo 585 & 3×2.42 GHz Kryo 585 & 4×1.8 GHz Kryo 585)
- GPU: Adreno 650
- Memory: 8GB / 12GB
- Colors: Glacial Green, Ultramarine Blue, Onyx Black
- Dimension: 165.3 x 74.4 x 8.5 mm
- Weight: 199 g
- SIM Type: Nano SIM
- SIM Count: Dual SIM
- Display: 6.78-inches Fluid AMOLED Capacitive Touchscreen, 1440 x 3168, 513 PPI, 120Hz Refresh Rate
- Screen Protection: Corning Gorilla Glass
- Foldable Display: No
- Rear Camera: 48MP (Wide) f/1.8 + 8MP (Telephoto) f/2.4 + 48MP (Ultrawide) + 5MP (Depth) f/2.4
- Rear Camera Features: Dual-LED flash, HDR, Panorama, /60fps, /60/240fps, Auto HDR, gyro-EIS
- Front Camera: 16 MP, f/2.5, (Wide)
- Built-in Storage: 128GB / 256GB
- Memory Card Support: No
- Bundled Cloud Storage: –
- 2G GSM: 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900
- 2G CDMA 1X: 800 / 1900
- 3G WCDMA: 800 / 850 / 900 / 1700(AWS) / 1800 / 1900 / 2100
- 3G CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: 1(2100), 2(1900), 3(1800), 4(1700/2100), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 12(700), 13(700), 17(700), 18(800), 19(800), 20(800), 25(1900), 26(850), 28(700), 29(700), 30(2300), 34(2000), 38(2600), 39(1900), 40(2300), 41(2500), 46(5200), 48, 66(1700/2100), 71(600)
- 5G: 1(2100), 3(1800), 7(2600), 28(700), 78(3500); SA/NSA
Internet & Connectivity
- GPRS: Yes
- EDGE: Yes
- 3G/WCDMA/HSPA: –
- HSPA+: Yes
- CDMA EVDO: –
- 4G LTE: Yes
- 5G: Yes
- WLAN: Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac/ax, dual-band, Wi-Fi Direct, DLNA –
- Wi-Fi Hotspot: Yes
- Bluetooth:Bluetooth 5.1, A2DP, LE, aptX HD –
- NFC: Yes
- Infrared Blaster: –
- USB Port: 3.1, Type-C 1.0 reversible connector, USB On-The-Go
- SMS/MMS: Yes
- Instant Messaging: –
- Push Emails: –
- Email Protocol: –
- Music Player: Yes
- Video Player: Yes
- FM Radio: No
- Loudspeaker: Yes, with Stereo Speakers
- 3.5mm Jack: No
- Navigation: Yes, with dual-band A-GPS, GLONASS, BDS, GALILEO, SBAS
- Maps: Yes
Sensors & Control
- Digital Compass: Yes
- Accelerometer: Yes
- Proximity Sensor: Yes
- Light Sensor: –
- Barometer: –
- SpO2: –
- Pedometer: –
- Heart Rate Monitor: –
- Gyroscope: Yes
- Fingerprint Scanner: Yes, ( Under Display, Optical)
- Iris Scanner: –
- Face Unlock: –
- Stylus Pen: No
- Intelligent Digital Assistant: Yes
- Motion Sensing / Gesture Control: –
- Voice Control: –
- Video Streaming: Yes
- Active Noise Cancellation: –
- Wireless Charging: Yes, 30W
- Built-in Mobile Payment: –
- Water Resistant: Yes, IP68
- Dust Resistant: Yes, IP68
- Image Editor: Yes
- Video Editor: –
- Document Viewer: Yes
- Document Editor: Yes
- Battery: Non-Removable 4510 mAh Li-Po
- Talktime: –
- Standby Time: –
- Fast Charging: Yes, 30W, 50% in 23 min (advertised)
2020 6 Best VPN service to use
Getting the best VPN possible is an important part of the kit to keep your online life as safe as possible in...